Commercial Sex Trafficking and the Massage Parlor Industry
Mary Ellis | September 20 | 11:30 AM-12:30 PM | Ingman Room
Topic: Legal | Knowledge Level: Beginner, Intermediate
This presentation will discuss the use of massage parlors and massage services to supply illicit commercial sex services. The presenter will discuss trends in victimization, advertising, terminology, locations, and clients. The presentation will also look at Utah laws regarding massage practice and how illicit massage practitioners avoid violating state laws and evade law enforcement when providing sexual services. The illicit massage parlor business has significant international trafficking ties which will be included in the discussion. The presenter will also provide examples of case studies from illicit massage parlor investigations from across the state of Utah. These will highlight the trends and tactics being used (terminology, locations, advertising) in Utah and lead to a discussion with attendees of what is happening around the nation.
· Define the type of massage services offered.
· Determine trends and tactics used in the illicit massage business.
· Pinpoint possible indicators of victimization and clientele base.
· Explain laws regarding the operation of massage businesses in the state of Utah and nationwide.
· Illustrate examples of businesses, terminology in advertisements, and case studies.