Understanding Trauma and its Impact on a Person’s Life
Judge Zemmelman, Alicia Komives & Demecia Wilson | September 11 | 2:45 - 3:45 PM | Room 2591
When working with human trafficking victims it is important to have an understanding of trauma and the impact it has on a person’s life. It is important to develop the ability to work with people through a trauma and culturally sensitive lens. Join the presenters as they define trauma; explore the different definitions related to trauma; give examples of the impact trauma has in our community; and present information about community resources.
1) Participants will be able to define trauma and how it differs from everyday stress.
2) Participants will have an understanding of the different definitions related to trauma: Complex trauma, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) etc.
3) Participants will have an increased understanding of the magnitude of trauma in the community and across the country and be provided with relevant statistics and data.
4) Participants will be presented with a case example that will highlight all of the learning from the session and give a deeper understanding of the impact of trauma on the person as they walk through the various systems.
5) Participants will be informed of the importance of trauma informed care when working with victims. They will gain knowledge of community resources; learn what questions to ask when seeking trauma specific care; and be able to identify a trauma informed approach and services.